13th January 2008
The First Church of Christ Scientist, Castlemere Street, Rochdale is being demolished. Built between 1911-14 the architect was Thomas Butterworth of 78 King Street Manchester, the same address as the office of Wood and Sellers. It is obviously based Wood’s Daisy Bank Road Church. Is this School of Wood or did the Master himself lend a hand?
Most recently used by Jehovah’s Witnesses the building was in a pathetic state with windows bricked up, walls pasted with render, and a suspended ceiling inside. Possibly the walls were too insubstantial for the thrust of
the huge open trussed roof. Following the destruction of Durnford School in 2002 our stock of Wood is going down fast.