Censed

incense

The Church of the Holy Name on Oxford Road (OK, opposite The Academy) was built by the Jesuits between 1869 and 1871 and is one of the great spaces of the University area. It has an unusually wide nave spanned by lightweight terracotta vaults: “Hansom was pushing gothic way beyond a respectful copying of medieval precedents”*. The current Father Rector understands the building completely and has the skill to combine ritual, music, light (and incense) to produce a glorious result – a historic building that is open, animated and purposeful. The picture above shows the scene at around midday.

Terracotta Vaults

Architect: J. A. Hansom 1871
See also…

*Christopher Martin, A Glimpse of Heaven